PhD, Statistics, Simon Fraser University, 2003
MSc, Statistics, Simon Fraser University, 1997
BA, Mathematics, University of British Columbia, 1992
Jason Sutherland joined UBC’s School of Population and Public Health and the UBC Centre for Health Services and Policy Research in 2009. Dr. Sutherland is a highly regarded and recognized leader in
researching the link between financial incentives and hospital behaviours and is a Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Scholar.
Dr. Sutherland is currently leading a CIHR-funded study of the effects of changing the incentives of hospital funding. Dr. Sutherland is also leading another CIHR-funded study investigating the links between funding policy and patient reported health outcomes (PROMS). He is currently an associate editor of Health Policy, an international journal for health policy research.
In collaboration with the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Jason has led efforts to develop and implement a case mix measurement tool for inpatient rehabilitation, known as called Rehabilitation Patient Groups. Affecting a broad array of rehabilitation patients in Ontario, this health system measurement tool is applied to hospitals that treat patients with stroke, joint replacement and brain injury. This case mix measurement tool is now applied by the Canadian Institute for Health Information to hospital based rehabilitation.
Before joining UBC, Jason was an Assistant Professor at Dartmouth College within The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice (2007-2009). From 2004-2007, Jason was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Medicine, Division of Biostatistics at Indiana University. At this time, he was also an Assistant Research Scientist at the Center of Excellence on Implementing Evidence Based Practice, Roudebush Veteran’s Affairs Medical Center in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Development of methods for monitoring and evaluating health system performance
- Measuring burden of illness
- Exploring causes and consequences of variations in health system utilization and funding
Awards and Affiliations
- Executive Committee, Patient Classification Systems International (2006-Present)
- Advisory Committee Member, Canadian Institute for Health Information, Case Mix Advisory Group/Technical Working Group, Ottawa, Canada (2004-Present)
- Advisory Committee Member, Canadian Institute for Health Information, Ambulatory Care Case Mix Redevelopment Project, Ottawa, Canada (2009-Present)